Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Once Upon a Time...


...in a land far, far away.....

Okay, this isn't really THAT kind of story.  It is, however, where I tell you about how when I was growing up I watched all sorts of Disney movies and as you are familiar with, Disney movies almost always have some form of princess and of course, a CASTLE!  I was always going to be a princess and my husband will argue that I still think I'm a princess. So, why argue with him - here are the castles that I want to live in....  (kidding!) but I do want to visit them.  Again, in no certain order...

1) Chateau de Chaumont - France

File:Chaumont.jpg

Chateau de Chaumont was purchased by Catherine de Medici in 1560, a year after her late husband, Henry II died.  In 1569, Catherine forced her husband's long-term mistress, Diane de Poitiers, to exchange the castle for Chateau de Chenonceau - that one's next - who do you think got the better deal?

2) Chateau de Chenonceau - France

 

This is the picture of the back of it.  You really should look it up and view the other angles - so amazing!  Henry II gave the castle to his mistress Diane de Poiters and it is she who is credited with designing the arch across the River Cher and beautiful gardens.  After "house swap" with Catherine, more gardens were added and the first fireworks display in France was seen when Catherine's son Francis II ascended the throne.

3) Chteau de Chambord - France


This castles is the largest in Loire Valley, where most of the French castles are located, and was the 'hunting shack' of Francois I, but was said to be built so he could be close to his mistress, the Comtesse de Thoury, Claude Rohan, who was the wife of another prominent gentleman in France and who lived next door.

4) Peles Castle - Romania


Located in the Romanian mountains, Peles Castle has over 34,000 square feet and 170 rooms.  Construction was started in 1873 with King Carol I ruling (and owning) the land.  The official inauguration was in 1883 and it was estimated to have cost 120 million US dollars (today).  In 1953, the estate was classified as a museum. 

5) Mont St Michael - France



Mont Saint Michel is located about a half a mile off the coast of Avranches (NW coast of Normandy France) and until pretty recently was only accessible during low tide.  Since the 8th century AD it became the seat for the Saint-Michel Monastery (where it gets its' name).

6) Hunyad Castle - Romania
    

Legend says that Hunyad Castle is where Vlad III of Wallachian was held captive for 7 years - we all know him as Dracula!!!  It was however, a prominent defensive structure in the 15th century. 

7) Bran Castle - Romania


Bran Castle also claims that Dracula made his home there. From my research I found that Vlad III did take over Bran castle for a brief time period (1 year) in 1459.  So maybe he made this his home and then got captured for 7 years????  I have no idea, but the architecture is beautiful!!!

8. Leeds Castle - England



Leeds castle is beautifully set 5 miles outside of Kent, England.  There were  a whole slew full of different Kings and Queens that lived there and attempted to make their mark on the property.  King Edward I and his wife Eleanor were the first inhibitors of royalty in 1278.  The last private owner of Leeds was Lady Baillie, who, besides living there..etc, used it as a hospital during WWII to take care of burned airmen.  1976 marked the year the castle became open to the public. 

9. Alnwick Castle - Northumberland England

 

This castle is CURRENTLY occupied by the Duke and Duchess of Northumberland - how cool is that!?  Of course they don't need ALL that space so they rent it out to various organizations...etc.  Plus, do I hear any HP fans out there?  Harry Potter was filmed using different parts of this castle at different times.  Way cool! 

10) Eilean Donan Castle - Scotland

Eilean Donan Castle

Built in 1220  for Alexander II as a defense against the Vikings, Eilean Donan sits in the Great Sea where the lochs meet. For the better part of the past 200 years the castle lay in ruins, until 1911 when Colonel John MacRae-Gilstrap rebuilt it and it opened in 1932.  It is said to be the most photographed castle in the world. 

Whew!  10 castles - being a princess is hard work ;)  Of course I didn't mention my favorite German castle, but that was a previous post.  I'm sure I missed a few that are even more beautiful than the ones I chose, but it was a big selection!  It's incredible to me how many castles there really are.  A lot of them are in ruins, but even still there are so many.  I didn't mention Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, Pembroke, Prague...the list goes on and on. So, tell me, what's YOUR favorite castle?

No comments:

Post a Comment