Sunday, August 21, 2011

My European/Mediterranean/Scandinavian Top 10


It's no secret I love to travel!  Lately, I have a huge itch.  Today I was reading on Oprah's website about the 10 Marvels of Our World.  It was so fun and fascinating, so I will share with you 10 places in the European/Mediterranean/Scandinavian part of the world that I would LOVE to go to.  It was hard to narrow it down to just 10 - there are many, many more!  So I kind of thought that maybe I would do just 10 natural places and do other posts later on architectural..etc. Okay - here we go!  Come "travel" with me - in no certain order....

1. Bay of Laig - Isle of Eigg - Scotland

isle of eigg
Photo from Oprah's website
According to many, other than the breathtaking beauty, what makes Eigg so special is the music that plays in the Bay of Laig. Apparently, the sand grains are pure quartz and completely round. When they are dry and rub together you can hear a beautiful music.  How eerie and cool!

2. Plitvice Lakes - Croatia


Plitvice Lakes are found in the Plitvice Lakes National Park in Croatia.  The park is Southeastern Europe's oldest national park and the largest in Croatia. There are 16 surface lakes and temperatures in the lakes are around 20C, which translates to 68F.  Can't wait to swim in there!!  Seriously, though, google the Plitvice Lakes, the images are incredible and it was really hard to choose just one to post!

3. Cliffs of Moher - Ireland

 


 The Cliff's of Moher are on the Southwestern edge of Ireland, stretch 5 miles and raise to a range of 390ft to 702ft!  Now, I'm not one for heights, but I definitely want to go there!  Anyone a Harry Potter fan?  The cliffs were featured in Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, as well as other numerous movies including Leap Year and The Princess Bride. More than 1 million people travel to Ireland each year for the  cliffs.  Now I know I didn't put more than one picture up for the last location, but you have to see what these crazy people are doing here...there's no way....

   
4. Paris in the Fall - France


I love Fall! It's my favorite season. I will be sharing more about that with you as the season gets closer and when I can pull out more sweaters!  Doesn't this picture just make you want to pull on your cute cardigan and grab a cup of coffee and people watch, or read, or write, or do whatever wonderful craft you enjoy!  It sure does that for me!  Grab me a cute hat, a trench coat and cup of warm apple cider - awe...to see Paris in the Fall!!!

5. Geiranger Fjord - Norway


How picturesque is that?!  I know there's a cruise boat in the pic, but it was hard to find one without a boat, people..etc because the Geiranger Fjord is such a high tourist area and has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2005.  It's beauty is now being threatened by ugly power lines they want to run over the fjord.  The area is 9.3 miles long and dotted with historical farms along the way.

6. Rhine Falls - Switzerland


Located in Schaffhausen, Switzerland, the Rhine Falls are the largest plain waterfalls in Europe.  They are 450 feet wide and 75 feet tall.  The falls fall so hard fish cannot swim up them, but eel are able to make it by worming their way up the rocks.  The falls were formed in the last ice age that is thought to be around 17,000 years ago.  You can access the falls by all forms of transportation but the best (according to some random website ;) ) is to take a guided tour boat that will get you the closest, near the bottom rocks!  They warn to wear a poncho though, because you will get wet! =)

7. Cies Island - Spain


The Cies Islands formed during a geological time period called Tertiary (find more about that here), about 65 million to 2.6 million years ago, back when there were dinosaurs.  Anyway, the Cies are 3 islands that are connected by long stretches of sand.  The longest stretch of sand, or beach (as I like to call it) is nearly 4,000 feet long.  The islands are uninhabited and now a nature reserve, which is only open to the public during the summer.  Cies Islands have been ranked the #1 beach(es) in the world from a few different travel magazines.  Bring on the sunscreen - I'm headed out!! (I wish!)

8. Lagos - Portugal


Another beach!  I can't help it.  I love swimming and I love scuba diving and this place just looks beautiful!!  It's called the Dona Ana and is the beach most frequented by tourists because it has slightly thicker sand than the others, plus the amazing rock formations surround you!

9. Tuscany Vineyards - Italy




I want to be a wine connoisseur.  I don't LOVE wine, but I do like lots of certain kinds.  I love dessert wine. I love some sort of Russian or maybe Austrian red wine - see how well I'm doing at this goal!? haha.  Anyway, my hubby and I did go to Rome and Florence for our honeymoon, but we neglected what will probably be my favorite part of Italy - Tuscany!  I want to go back and experience the pasta and wine culture - because Rome (as awesome as it was) was mainly seafood. So, if you choose Italy for the Italian food (kind of like I did) don't go to only Rome - you will be disappointed.  I did see some guy eat a whole baby octopus though!

10. Saltwick Bay - Whitby - England



#10 - you still with me?  Good!

Saltwick in Whitby England is a geological student's dream.  Most of England's coast near Yorkshire is filled with caves, cliffs and ammonite fossils! Many student's come here to see the "Dinosaur Coast".  I can't find any specific pictures of it, but it's said you can see fossil footprints of our non-avian Jurassic friends.  I just want to go for the sunsets - AMAZING!

Thanks for traveling with me! On this journey of exploring all these interesting places, I came across a ton of amazing natural landscapes in my own country and for sure in my own state - no one has lakes like Minnesota!! We will definitely have to check those out.  Stay tuned, I can't wait to see where we go next!!

2 comments:

  1. That was a fun list! I would also love to travel. Maybe someday...

    I would love to go to Italy! And Ireland... And pretty much every place you listed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jill. It was fun to look up. A few of them I've had on my list for awhile, but I just kept finding more amazing spots when I was 'virtually traveling'.

    ReplyDelete