Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fall Foliage Tour - Western States

Head West Young Man!  Anytime I think about the Western States I think about Toby Keith's "Should've Been a Cowboy!".  Granted, my list does not only include the cowboy frontier(s), but the song fits for some of them (plus I said a key ingredient for a road trip is a good CD mix!). Okay, let's head West!


 Maroon Bells, Colorado

 

The Maroon Bells are two peaks in the Elk Mountains near Aspen, Colorado.  The view to the Southwest is one of the most famous scenes in Colorado and is said to be the most photographed.  Due to its' proximity to Aspen, it's a highly sought tourist area.  However, motorized vehicles are allowed only limited access but you may take a tourist bus during the summer.

Wasatch Mountains, Utah


The Wasatch Mountain Range stretches 160 miles from the Utah-Idaho border, South through central Utah. It's considered the Western Edge of the Rockies and the Eastern Edge of the Great Basin.  Again, mountains and color - I can't resist!


Grand Tetons National Park, Wyoming



Located in Northwestern Wyoming, the mountains of Grand Teton National Park make up part of the Rocky Mountains. Unlike many other mountains, the Tetons lack foothills to obstruct the view, making way for sharp peaks ranging from 5,000-7,000ft above the baseline. 

Big Wood River, Idaho


Big Wood River is 137 miles long and suns South through Central Idaho and eventually empties into the Malad River.  Again, I can't stress how much I love the bright autumn colors!  Plus, I think water complements everything so beautifully!!

Pasayten Wildnerness, Washington

 

The Pasayten Wilderness is a protected area within the Okanogan National Forest in Washington. The Western Part (above) features dramatic views of the Cascade Mountains.  Sometimes I wish I weren't so afraid of heights, because climbing that would be very cool! 

Lithia Park, Ashland, Oregon

 

 When I saw this red, I had to pick this picture.  We've had a lot of yellows and oranges out West, but not as much red and red is essential on a Fall Foliage Tour. Apparently Lithia Park gets its' name from Lithium Oxide, which can be found in the water of the park - probably not something that you wanted to know, but basically, don't drink the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment