Friday, September 2, 2011

Coffee Love

Maybe I'm just crazy, or grew up in a rural area that didn't have coffee shops, but since when do high school girls come to Caribou on their way to school?  I stopped to get my fix yesterday morning and in walk two high school girls in their uniforms.   I was just surprised. 

First of all, when does the caffeine addiction really start?  I know we endorse it from a very early age with pop and other sugary/caffeinated drinks like ice tea, but when do people start drinking coffee?  So much that they come to a coffee shop before going to school?  I always thought of coffee as something you grew accustomed to during college or when you had to work a late/night shift somewhere to help you get through the days/hours.  I never drank coffee in high school - I tried it on the weekends at my grandparents house but frankly I found it disgusting.  I still don't drink straight coffee, but I enjoy 'mixed' coffee drinks like lattes and coolers.  So, I continued on my merry way and when I got to my car, a whole car full of girls (again in uniform) pull up. 


Now I'm curious, is it the norm to have drinks other than water at your desk during high school?  In most of my classes, we weren't allowed to have anything to drink or eat.  Occasionally, there was a class that allowed a water bottle to accompany you at your desk.  Are these girls really going to bring their fancy lattes and coolers and coffee to home room with them?  I wish I went to that school ;) 

Can you say culture shock or generation gap (and I'm not very old)!  I am really curious though, is that how it was in your school?  Did you drink coffee?  Am I just from the sticks and this is totally normal behavior?

1 comment:

  1. I'm guessing they probably have to drink it before school starts...most schools don't allow kids to bring stuff like that to class...water bottles, yes, to promote it, but not coffee. At least that's my experience from subbing around here. :)

    ReplyDelete