Friday, July 15, 2011

My Personal Commandments

There are so many things that excite me about Oprah Winfrey's website, especially under the "Spirit" section.  I find it a little ironic that I am now obsessing over an Oprah website when I was definitely that girl who rolled her eyes when she came home from school and found her mom or grandma watching Oprah.  Everyday...4pm...now it's Dr. Phil.  Still not loving that guy.  Anyway, most of the spirit sections are all about finding yourself, your passion, what you want out of life..etc.  And somewhere among the posts today I found a link to The Happiness Project.  I was hooked. How to make yourself Happy.  Don't we all want that?  Now, I  count myself lucky because I feel pretty happy in life anyway, but I know there is always room for improvement.  So, I read about it and I have to say, that today, I'm starting my personal life commandments (read more!).  I think it's going to be quite a fun project.  I have already picked a few of my favorites:

Dig Deep - my interpretation is that you can do anything you set your mind to, but it may take hard work, dedication and time.  Be patient, work hard and know that it will pay off.  Dig Deep, we have big hearts and we are stronger than we realize :)

Avoid Debt - no one likes money problems.  Live within your means.  I think my hubby and I do this pretty well, but I need to kick a few of my luxury habits like Caribou Coffee and, well, Caribou Coffee.  Once in a while is fine, but whenever I feel a little blue, feel like I deserve a reward, want something refreshing, feel like I need a shot of caffeine....I go there, and quite frankly that's ALL too often!  And, I need to stop going to the vending machines at work.  I still get healthy stuff like pretzels, veggie chips, what have you, but it's costing me money I don't need to spend. 

Stay In Touch - I feel like I do this alright, but I need to continue to work on it.  I spoke with my 13 year old brother for a good 40 minutes last night and that hasn't happened in a LONG time.  It was so fun to catch up about what's new in his life and listen to all his stories (of course they were all sport related)  and I loved every minute of it. 


Stay tuned for more as I come up with them. 

I have to recount my evening last night for you because I got to do 4 of my favorite things. 
1) Hang out with some great friends.  We bummed around different sections of the cities in search of a new ice tea mug for me (success!)
2) We went out to eat - I love, love going out to eat, especially with great friends.
3) We ate pizza!  One of my favorite foods, ever.  If you have never been, you must try Punch Pizza. It's a Neapolitan pizza joint that is only found in and around the TC.  It's awesome pizza! 
4) We went out for ice cream afterwards!  Yummm!! The place is on Grand Avenue and it's called Grand Ole Creamery.  It's an old school, homemade ice cream shop that has very unique flavors and they make their own waffle cones (complete with a malt ball in the bottom to stop the ice cream from coming out).  Highly recommended!! 

Counting down the minutes until my weekend begins. For now, I'll send you off with a hilarious video of the cutest little girl and also a tune that always brightens my day (which we need since it's RAINING in the TC)

Jessica's Daily Affirmations

Jake Owen's Barefoot Blue Jean Night - perfect addition to summer!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment