Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Grandma

Grandparents Hold Our Hands for a Little While
but Our Hearts Forever!

Today marks one year that my Grandma peacefully passed away surrounded by family and friends.  I remember the day like it was yesterday.  She had cancer for 34 years.  There were many times in her life where we weren't sure how long she was going to make it, especially the last few weeks.  I knew it was coming.  On Sunday afternoon, November 14, 2010, my mom called and told me Grandma was getting worse.  She told me I should think about coming home.  I really should have listened.  I made it home in time to say goodbye but I didn't leave until Monday morning.  So many times during those last few months there were "iffy" times and we weren't sure what the next day would bring.  This had happened before and she came out of it.  Monday morning I called and found out she was still hanging in there but that Home Health said it was a matter of hours.  I went to work and told them I had to leave immediately for Lancaster.  I got in my car and drove the entire 6 1/2 hour drive with one brief stop for more gas.  I made it to Lancaster around 1pm and sat next to my Grandma and crocheted ~ a gift that she taught me many moons ago.  It was very peaceful.  My sisters and brother crowded around as well.  We sat there for four hours talking, reminiscing, and telling Grandma stories.  Various friends and family would peek in occasionally.  Around 5pm Grandma's breath changed and we knew it was time to say our final goodbyes. With my mom on one side and my Grandpa on the other, holding her hand, my Grandma fell asleep.  It was beautiful.  I miss her so much.  She taught me so many things.  Her laughter was infectious and her knowledge endless. I am calmed by the fact that she is no longer suffering and that I will one day see her again.  She was a fighter and I hope that's something that she instilled in me, and something that will be passed down to my children. She was a lover and a giver.  She was so many things.  I'll love her forever and be forever grateful she was in my life for so many years.

2 comments:

  1. Losing a Grandparent is so hard. I feel like they are such great connections to our childhood and history of the family. Thoughts to your family today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Randali, I can't believe that has already been a year ago...your grandma was such a great woman. Thinking about you guys!

    ReplyDelete